Sunday, January 27, 2008

Bow the knee


Today the church service was just for me (or so it felt). Awhile back, our pastor surveyed the congregation to see topics that we would like him to preach on. This Sunday, he preached on one of the congregation's choices. The title of it was "He Heals the Brokenhearted". After the sermon, I thought my feelings would be of comfort and encouragement but I was so angry at God! I left the sanctuary in tears, got in my car and went to get gas at the gas station. My feelings of grief were so overwhelming, I literally screamed, "Why!!!". Thankfully, no one was around to be scared (I certainly would have been). I still have not accepted why God allowed my husband, of 1 month, to be deployed. He was supposed to be out of the Army in September, for goodness sake!


God is so amazing though, just when you think you cannot make it, he rides in with his sword and shield to protect you from the attacks of the evil one. Today his shield for me was being able to talk to Bryon on skype for TWO HOURS and his sword were the lyrics to a song we sang during the service.


I typically either know the song in church or don't know it (duh) and if I know it, I sing with all my heart. If I don't know it, I find myself not even trying to sing (rather than stumble my way through it) and just listening to the words. Today however, the choir sang a song which dropped me to my knees. I felt the gentle hands of my Heavenly Father, reaching down, picking me up off the floor and embracing me. I could feel him kiss my head, stroke my hair and whisper a soft "shhh, be still my child" in my ear. The lyrics are below.


Bow The Knee
There are moments on our journey following the Lord where God illuminesevery step we take. There are times when circumstances make perfect sense to us, as we try to understand each move He makes. When the path grows dim and our questions have no answers, turn to Him


Bow the knee, trust the heart of your Father when the answers goes beyond what you can see. Bow the knee; lift your eyes toward heaven and believe the One who holds eternity. And when you don't understand the purpose of His plan, in the presence of the King, bow the knee.

There are days when clouds surround us, and the rain begins to fall, the cold and lonely winds wont cease to Blow. And there seems to be no reason for the suffering we feel; We are tempted to believe God does not know. When the storms arise, don't forget we live by faith and not by sight.


The part of that song that impacted me the most was in the chorus when it says "trust the heart of your Father". It isn't asking me to trust in a human for my strength, because no human can ever be strong enough. It isn't even asking me to trust in the omnipotence, or strength or steadfastness of the Lord. No, it asks me to trust the HEART of the Lord. How can I, or anyone for that matter, not trust in the heart of a Savior who gave his life for me on the cross. A God who loved ME so much that gave His only son, to die, the death of a criminal, just so that I can live forever in Heaven with Him. Christ took on the punishment of Hell so that I would not have to experience it. In THAT love, I will willingly and gratefully give all of my trust, my fears, my sorrow and my very soul.

Please allow me to share a verse from the sermon which has been an enormous encouragement to me. May it strengthen you as well.

Philippians 4: 4-7

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again, I say it, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, through prayers and petitions, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."




1 comment:

Holly said...

Haley,
My sweet friend and sister in Christ- God can handle our anger, our tears and our questioning!
I can't even say that I understand, because Tony and I were married 13 years when he left- not quite newlyweds anymore!
I do understand the gut wrenching cries of your heart and can testify that God has met me right in the middle of them and His grace really IS enough. It won't always feel like it, but it is.
He will carry you through- one hour at a time. Rejoicing over the wonderful technology of Skype and time to talk with Bryon! You are starting out this marriage with a much deeper appreciation for each other than most married couples have. May the God of hope fill you with all JOY and PEACE as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit,
Love,
Holly